Hydrology has been an indispensable part of civil engineering. It would be worth mentioning here that hydrology is a branch of engineering dealing with the study of water resources. It has also been known as water resources engineering.
Rest assured that hydrology engineering is the specialization of civil engineering dealing with the occurrence, distribution, and circulation of water on Earth. The emphasis would be on the scientific study of water resources, sustainability of water resources, and the water cycle.
It would mainly focus on the design, planning, operation, and analysis of water-related projects and constructions. This branch of engineering effectively uses and manages water resources. For more information on hydrology engineering, log on to https://lclenvironnement.com/etudes-hydrogeologiques/.
Going through the history of hydrology engineering
Engineering hydrology has become an important aspect of civil engineering for a significant length of time. Since the advent of civilization, several hydraulic structures have been constructed using various kinds of hydrological tools.
It has been widely used in irrigation activities since time. Hydrology engineering has advanced and developed over time. It would not be wrong to suggest that hydrology engineering has been an integral aspect of civil engineering.
Hydrology benefits in civil engineering
Hydrology engineering and its applications have been indispensable for building and planning various kinds of hydraulic structures.
It would be imperative for solving the several existing water-related problems inclusive of issues related to the quantity of control, water, irrigation, and alleviating floods.
Find below a few important aspects of hydrology engineering –
- It would be essential for determining the probability of maximum flood at the potential construction sites.
- It would assist in establishing a relation between the underground water resources and the surface water.
- It would enable the hydrologists in determining the flow over several hydraulic structures.
- It would be essential for studying the on-site seepage and drainage conditions before starting any engineering construction.
- It would be essential for determining the capacity of the reservoir for assuring the proper supply of water for various purposes.
- The use of hydrology engineering applications assists in obtaining the nature of rainfall patterns, variations of flow of the water, and more.
Areas in civil engineering where you could use hydrology
Hydrology would be applied in various fields of civil engineering –
- Controlling floods and prevention of disaster
- Projects handling water supply
- Construction of dams and projects on hydroelectric power generation
- Schemes and projects on irrigation
These have been some of the essential areas of civil engineering where you could apply hydrology.